On February 3rd I will be traveling to Northern Uganda with my colleague Kathy Carver as part of our semester sabbatical at Johnson County Community College. Kathy and I were part of a team that went to Gulu Uganda in May 2009 to explore opportunities for service learning in health and education. We were inspired by the people and how they have worked to rebuild their lives after years of civil war. We met with nurses at Lacor St. Mary's Hospital and School of Nursing to see if we could return to spend time with them and to learn more about their community and the role of nurses. So now we are about to return and begin our journey of learning about the Ugandan culture, health care, nursing care and how we may be of service.
I hope to update this blog while in Uganda and invite you to share your comments!
Thanks for your prayers of support.
Mary Smith RN, MSN
Professor of Nursing
Johnson County Communit College
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mary, I am so proud and happy you are able to get this experience. I can imagine the excitement you and Kathy must have getting to go back to Uganda, as I was very excited to get the chance last year to go to Las Pintas. Getting to learn about a new way of life and culture, along with their views on health care is so very rewarding! I hope you two have another great trip down there and hope that one day in the future, others will be able to join you!! Love you and travel safe!!!
ReplyDeleteAmanda Brawner